Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Diwali- My First!

Diwali! Festival of Lights! Biggest Festival of the Year! Yeah! Last year I came so close to being in India for Diwali...Diwali was on Nov. 3rd and I left India Nov.1st. So this was my first official Diwali celebration, and it sure was a lot of fun. It kind of reminded me of a blend of Christmas (all the lights and decorations outside) and the 4th of July (tons of fireworks).

As for the meaning behind Diwali, I'm not 100% sure. I do know that the goddess of money, Lakshmi, is worshiped. Many people will clean their homes top-to-bottom (this includes repainting the house)and light diyas (small candles that burn oil) outside, believing that on the night of Diwali Lakshmi will feel more welcomed to enter their homes and bless them. {I guess instead of our version of "Spring Cleaning," Indians have "Diwali Cleaning." Yes, I thought of that myself...}

Before I show you some of our pictures from Diwali, I was reminded of an old The Office episode. :D
If, for some reason, you can't see this video (sometimes videos aren't enabled between different countries), just do a YouTube search for The Office Diwali Song.

Now, onto our pictures :)




This is called a Rangoli and I have no idea of its purpose, other than it looks pretty.

This was painted on our floor with natural colors (made of red rock for red and rice for white) and represents the goddess Lakshmi's foot print.

Me and my boi.

All the diyas lit up, lookin' pretty.

Family photo.

Some fun with sparklers.



No comments:

Post a Comment