Saturday, July 2, 2011

Its Official, I'm A Resident of India

After much trial and tribulation, I now hold an official document claiming my residency in India. No, this doesn't mean citizenship and no, this doesn't mean that I'm staying longer than planned. This only means that I can stay as long as I want in this country (or at least until my 5 year visa expires) without any hassle and hullabaloo from the Indian government.

You see, India's foreign tourist policy says that you can only stay in the country for a maximum of 6 months before they boot you out, and you can't return for another 2 months. This presented a teeny bit of a problem for Abhi and me, seeing that we won't be going home until my 6 month period has passed.

We've done a lot of traveling and jumped through many-a-proverbial-hoop to get my Indian 'T' (Tourist) visa changed to 'X' (Marriage) visa. This was all so that I could then qualify for Residency in India, register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) and thus, stay with my hubby as long as necessary here in the Land of Indians. Got it? If you're a little confused, none of this really matters anyway, all you need to do is congratulate me on my new Indian residency status! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment