Friday, July 8, 2011

Piaz Ka Parantha

Since I've come to India my mother-in-law has taught me a thing or two about Indian cooking. One thing I've learned to cook, though don't particularly enjoy making is this piaz ka parantha (aka onion flat bread ). It tastes really good but can be a little tricky to make. Here's how:

Step 1: Gather your necessary tools
Top  pan (tava), Right tongs, Bottom board and rolling pin

Step 2: Mix wheat flour and water to make dough. Roll into balls. (see above picture)

Step 3: Chop onion into small pieces and add red chili powder, salt, and green masala powder (I don't exactly know what makes up the green masala, maybe I'll update that later).

Step 4: Roll the dough ball slightly and add a heaping spoonful of onion mixture.
Step 5: Fold the dough closed (like a  Chinese won-ton or dumpling) so that all onion pieces are inside the dough. Again roll the dough out flat (preferably in a circular shape), being careful that it doesn't break because of the onion.

Step 6: Cook on flat pan on high heat, about 1 minute per side, flipping 2-3 times. Once one side is cooked and flipped, add ghee (clarified butter) to each side and cook for a few seconds.















After the dough is fully cooked, you're done! You can eat it lots of different ways; plain, with butter, with plain or sweet yogurt, with pickled mango, the list goes one but I haven't tried any other ways... :)

There's no final picture (maybe because I was in such a hurry to eat?) but it pretty much looks like the picture above.

No comments:

Post a Comment